Emma has written up all the days of our trip in a wonderful way so rather than reprinting it all here are links to each set of days:
- Cycling to the top with stops for Cake – Part 1
- Cycling to the top with stops for Cake – Part 2
- Cycling to the top with stops for Cake – Part 3
- Cycling to the top with stops for Cake – Part 4
- Cycling to the top with stops for Cake – Part 5
Below are my twitter posts made during the trip and a rough map of our route.
- Penzance to St Ives via Lands End. A few big hills mousehole in particular. Lovely cream tea. Sunset dinner + camp on a cliff above St Ives.
- St Ives to Padstow very hilly but beautiful coast and every time you go up you get to come down. Rick Stein fish n chips for dinner yum yum.
- Padstow to Okehampton rolling hills n wobbling legs. A day of rain but good to know pasties are waterproof. Bunk house tonight to dry shoes.
- Okie to Holman Clavel lots of sunshine made my 7 hours cycling a bit easier. Hills a bit smaller legs just as tired. No local snacks today.
- HC to Priddy grey day but good views over somerset and lots of flat rd for a change. Wet evening in tent but local bacon + cider make it OK.
- No cell signal for a few days so no updates. Priddy to llanthony a big day. Severn bridge crossed. Enter the welsh valley as sun slides away
- Llanthony rest day for ems birthday. Washing. Bike tidy up. Bit of a hill walk to top of ridge then pub dinner with more than 3 ingredients.
- Llanthony to bishops castle. Beautiful bike ride from llanthony big downhill to hay on wye. Bbq for dinner and pitch with a view…again.
- BC to chester. Early climb over stiperstones with cake stop. A mostly flat grey day. Pitch view of calves + cows. Nav challenge of Lvpl 2mw
- Chester to Ormskirk via lvrpl. Zigzag along Wirral ferry cross the Mersey. Shards of glass, shutter doors, face down arrest. View of hedge.
- Ormskirk to Hawkshead. Massive day on flat plains. Brooding hills + thunder clouds ahead as we climbed hill from windermere. View of ducks.
- I just ate: bacon + mushrooms, muesli + fruit, steak slice, triple choc cheesecake + bannana milkshake. I think cycling is making me hungry
- Hawkshead to keswick. Rest day but got few miles done as sunny. Ride by Thirlmere lovely. View of White Pike hill from tent. Midges attack!
- Keswick to Anan. On Carrock Fell roaming ponies tried to eat ems towel. Lucky bike faster than pony. View of huge blue sky above Solway.
- Anan to Coylton. Cairspharn very remote sheep + wind. No accom in towns of boarded up houses. Camp in farmers field. View of million midges!
- Coylton to Brodick. Long coastal run to ferry then steep hill. Rhubarb crumble for lunch. B&B tonight after farmers field need a duvet.
- Brodick to Kilmelford. Coast to ferry low steel skies. Lunch at Tarbert co-op flapjacks rule. Camped in yard
of pub. Midges bad again.
- Kilmelford to Fort William. Cool morn then hot. Swim in a loch max 2mins. Busy road to campsite beneath Ben Nevis. View of summit at sunset.
- FW to Inverness. Canal + Forest paths along lochs feels like a newly found land.Uphill to 400m for views across loch ness. View of fence.
- Inverness to Helmsdale. Lots of main roads today as few options. Saw seals bathing in sun. Tea + scone fixed my knee. Best hostel in world.
- Helmsdale to Thurso. Maybe best ride of trip. Big empty eggshell sky. Hills looming. Lochs reflecting. Deep fried dinner. View of thunder.
- Thurso to JOG. Windy ride. Think legs knew end was nigh. Photos with bikes. We made it. Celebratory bacon + square sausage bun. Onto Wick.
View LEJOG June/July 2009 in a larger map