• Common household pests like house centipedes, carpenter ants, and fruit flies can cause family problems.
• House centipedes have 15 pairs of long legs and a yellowish-brown head and body, which should not be touched due to their bite that causes localized pain and swelling.
• Carpenter ants nest in wooded areas around homes, like decks or window frames, and are difficult to eliminate without professional help.
• Fruit flies feed on decaying fruits and vegetables and can reproduce quickly, so it is important to keep food containers with tight-fitting lids and have a clean kitchen.
No one likes having pests in their home — they’re not only a nuisance but can also be dangerous to your family’s health. While many people are familiar with the more common house pests, like ants and spiders, other insects can cause family problems. Here are some less-common insects and how to identify and deal with them.
Most Common Types of Insects in the U.S.
Insects can be problematic to any household. Here are some of the most common insects that can affect you and your family.
The house centipede is a tiny insect typically living in damp basements or bathrooms. It has 15 pairs of long legs and a yellowish-brown head and body. If you see a centipede in your home, do not touch it; its bite may cause localized pain and swelling. To get rid of them, reduce moisture levels in the area by using fans or dehumidifiers. You can also use traps or bait to catch them if needed.
Carpenter ants are giant black ants that can nest in wooded areas around homes, such as decks or window frames. Unlike other ants, carpenter ants don’t eat wood; instead, they use it to create tunnels where they live and store food. To eliminate carpenter ants, use insecticides or baits formulated explicitly for ant control. Also, seal any cracks or crevices around windows and doors where the ants may be entering your home.
Fruit flies are small flies that feed on decaying fruits and vegetables. They reproduce quickly and lay eggs near food sources like garbage cans or fruit bowls — making them challenging to get rid of without professional help.
To prevent fruit flies from entering your home, ensure all food containers have tight-fitting lids and keep your kitchen clean by wiping spills immediately and disposing of garbage regularly. If an infestation occurs, you may need professional pest control services to eradicate the problem.
The most apparent way insects can disrupt your home life is through infestations. These tiny creatures reproduce quickly and often without any warning. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for them to invade homes for food or shelter. Various problems can occur from these infestations. Here are some of them:
- Structural Damage: Some insects, such as termites and carpenter ants, can damage your home’s structure.
- Health Issues: Insects can spread disease, trigger allergies or contaminate food sources.
- Nuisance: Even if the infestation doesn’t cause serious problems, the constant presence of these bugs can be highly annoying.
How to Keep Insects Out of Your Home
Thankfully, there are various ways to keep these insects away from your home. Here are some of them:
Repaint Your Home
A home that has been freshly painted is less likely to attract pests. So, make sure to repaint the exterior of your home every few years. You can ask a professional interior house painting service to do this. They can also inspect your home for potential entry points and repair them if necessary.
Keep your house clean at all times. Vacuum often, wipe up spills immediately, and throw out garbage regularly. This will help reduce the number of insects in your home and make it more difficult for them to find food sources.
Inspect Your Home Regularly
Inspect your home regularly for any signs of an infestation. Look for dead insects or other clues that may indicate a problem. If you find evidence of pests, contact a professional pest control service as soon as possible to determine the severity of the problem and get rid of it quickly.
The last thing you want is your home to become infested with unwanted insects.
By following these tips, you can keep your home safe and pest-free. If you suspect a problem, don’t hesitate to call a professional pest control service immediately. They can help identify the issue and get rid of it swiftly and efficiently. With the proper measures in place, you and your family can remain safe from these pesky intruders.